Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Hi blog!

Last night I went out with Xueying, Elena and my sis. Went to Vivocity to shop and eat. Then Elena left but the three of us met Zhenxiang and his friend Lloyd (who looks like Lloyd from the Tales of Symphonia because of his hair) at Bugis before going home.

Couldn't get to sleep last night so I slept pretty late and woke up at 1.30pm. Hahaha it's so awesome not having to work! :D

My last day of work was kinda fun. My history lesson with 2E5 was their last lesson for the day so I stayed back with some them to play Once Upon A Time! Hahaha. It was super funny. Went to visit 4E1 with sweets and I got harassed by the guys there! They pestered me for sweets and even tried to corner me. Lol! They had English oral after that so I went back to the sec 2s who were still playing the storytelling game, but we had to vacate for the English oral so we ended up playing at the detention area.

Met my mum at Lot 1 after school. It was kinda funny because every time I go home after work I would suddenly feel like I'm a BBSS student again, going home after school, and would somehow feel like alighting at CCK like I did in the past. My feet would automatically move towards the door as the announcement is made about switching to the Bukit Panjang LRT! And so that day, I told myself that I was going to alight at Yew Tee, forgetting that I had to meet my mother at Lot 1, and I even tapped out at Yew Tee and almost walked home. I realised my mistake just in time and tapped back inside, feeling kinda silly.

After dinner and grocery shopping mum and I were going to the bus interchange when someone started shouting MISS THIA! It was one of my students in his soccer uniform. I still find it amusing to be called Miss Thia. I also met another student at Plaza Sing on a different occasion, when I was still getting used to the whole teaching thing.

Last Saturday I met Gay Justin at Novena and we were about to decide on what to do when Lynn called to ask us to go for the NTU talk with her and Elena! Well, actually I asked the clique about going for the talk the previous night and most of them weren't free so I didn't feel like going anymore. It was also partially due to feeling annoyed by my mother, who insisted that she come with me, and also the feeling that the talks wouldn't be very helpful. We only had time to attend the talk about teaching and another one about HSS, and I was right. But we got this NTU magazine and other pamphlets.

During the talk about NIE I thought of the staff meeting we had last Wednesday which was about doing up your portfolio and the book, The Skillful Teacher, as well as the previous meeting before that one which got us to work in groups and draw something which comprised of the teacher's pledge, vision, philosophy and outcome or something. (I can't remember what was that last one) Anyway, the meetings are long and boring, yet interesting in its own way. I discovered that teachers wanted their job to be more recognised, and they wanted less administrative work. I don't know about the administrative work since I was just a relief teacher, but I know that although there are teachers who are passionate about teaching, it is often seen as a last resort or just a way to earn money. (And the thick file called a portfolio which has to be done in order to apply for the position of a senior teacher is just... scary)

Ate at Marina Square where I somehow couldn't taste the delicious food and drinks at Manhattan Fish Market because I was still sick, and went to Plaza Sing to shop. Elena and Lynn left while Gay and I continued shopping for new year clothes. Gay got shirts from Springfield and Esprit and while at Esprit I saw pretty clothes for myself so I went to try them on. Didn't really want to buy them but Gay insisted so because of our indecisiveness we were there until Esprit was about to close. He bought them for me and also signed up for an Esprit card. (Oh yeah, I better spend the $10 vouchers they gave together with the card since it's only valid for one month)

I still need new shoes because I've been wearing my white flats with the cute golden key and lock thing almost everyday, especially when I was working, and because of that its soles are losing grip.

Chinese New Year is almost here. It's the most dreaded occasion of the year (well, at least for me) and I'll probably be spamming everyone when SMSes on the first day due to my boredom, so don't be surprised.

No comments: