I feel that I should blog about this in some way even though most people already know how I did and what happened in school.
I had this weird dream the night before that I scored ABC/A, and was crying because the C was for Literature. It was such a horrible dream. Then my phone started vibrating in real life and I answered the call sleepily. The woman over the phone said that she was calling from PJC and told me that I did "quite well" and had to come to school earlier and "appropriately attired".
I had no choice but to wake up since it was already 10am, and instead of 2.30pm I had to reach school by 12.15pm. Actually, I had to wake up anyway since I was supposed to meet the clique at Yew Tee for Astons at 11.30am. My sister woke up due to the phone call and she kept saying that I must've gotten straight As and that it's so unfair.
Anyway, I wasn't supremely happy or anything yet. I was still kinda scared because doing "quite well" sounded so ambiguous and I was still thinking about my weird dream. I told Yingwei about it and she asked the clique to meet at 15 minutes earlier (though most of us were still late, anyway). Yw must've told the rest because after that Lynn congratulated me and Daniel called me to say that PJC called him, too.
So we all met at Astons but Daniel ate only like the bread or something. Yw and I were the only ones who had a proper lunch. Elena, Lynn and Xueying didn't eat anything and just had drinks. Then we went to school together via MRT and bus while Daniel cycled there. Along the way, Xueying received a random call which was for me. Over the phone, some random person asked me if I had remedial sessions and asked me for the names of the relief teachers who taught me before. So random.
I was late so I went straight to LT1 where the teachers were telling us about how we should apply for scholarships. Audrey and Daniel were there already, and I didn't really know anyone else. Then they started to arrange us in some order and as they were calling out names, Daniel and I started to wonder if they called us by mistake, since they were taking so long. Nureen was called too and she came in just right after her name was called.
Eventually they did call my name and I was like the third from the back, so I started to suspect something. I mean, you don't have to be a genius to figure out what was going on. The two people called before me was a Malay student and an Indian student, and the last person was Demas, obviously the top overall student.
But since nobody told me anything I decided not to think too much. I didn't get a chance to think very much anyway, because the next thing I knew, Mr. Sas came into the LT and told me to come along with him for an interview. I was thinking WTF but I just followed. Along the way, he explained to me that because I was under Miss Noriana for lit remedial and the interview was going to be about how remedial has benefited me, blah blah. You get the gist.
Then I entered this meeting room thingy which is a place in PJC that I've never seen before. Mrs Lee was there with two other guys and she felt that I looked familiar, maybe because she was the SJAB teacher in charge back in BBSS last time. After a while a 4th guy came. Then the photographer and journalist from The Straits Times arrived. We went to some classroom and then the locker areas to take photos, then it was back to the classroom for more questions. After the interview, we were told to go straight to the hall. Along the way, Mr. Ng said congrats, you're the top arts student. I was like, omg really?
Then I felt kinda blur so I called Daniel and found him and the rest right at the front of the stage. I was going like, wtf I'm the top arts student and all the girls in my clique hugged me and I still couldn't really believe it so I texted my real sister and my fake brother (KK) about it. Jie called me and asked about it. Oh yeah and I had to sit like according to how they arranged us so I was kinda lonely but finally gay Justin arrived in school after booking out at 10am and he came over to talk to me.
Mrs Tan gave her speech which isn't really a speech since she was just reading off the slides and telling us the percentages even though everything is just there. She went on to talk about the top students and she skipped my slide because she was too excited to talk about Demas :(
When I finally went up on stage to receive my results slip I think she perhaps congratulated me a little bit more. Then all those who were called had to talk a group photo and the top students had to take individual photos with Mrs Tan. She then apologised for skipping my slide and said that she wouldn't have done that, or something. I told her that it's okay.
Anyway, it wasn't really important since I started receiving attention from my teachers, random people, friends and my classmates, who started congratulating me in real life as well as via SMS. It was nice and I guess I was still quite stunned to think of anything to say other than thanks.
I called my mother and told her that I got straight As and was the top arts student. Then I jokingly asked her over the phone why she wasn't crying and the next thing I knew, she was sobbing and it was like 'O' levels all over again.
Justin was being emo just because of one of his grades and he didn't even take his goodie bag, so Yw and I went to get it for him. Xueying had to queue up in the library to pay her fines in order to receive her results. So we waited around for each other and finally all of us met in the canteen and went to BPP's Starbucks. We looked through our university shit together and after that Justin and I went to meet Xy and Zhenxiang at Yew Tee's KFC. Xy left first and the two guys walked me home.
It was such a weird day and I don't know how I became the top arts student. Seriously. I mean, Daniel had straight As too.
I went home and showed my results slip to my mum. Then when my dad came home I showed it to him too. He was like, "Wah very good! So what do you want? Daddy buy for you." So without really thinking I just said "iPhone", and my mother was like "NO!" and that was it.
Okay, not really. My mother went on to say things to my dad, like, "You should give me money to give to her! I give her allowance every week you know! And I also give her money to buy shoes and dress! She score so well because I take care of her one okay!" Blah blah blah. Suddenly, all the credit goes to her. LOL.
This morning I was half awake when I heard my dad announcing that I appeared in the newspapers. So when I woke up for real I asked him about it and saw my face in The Straits Times, Home section or something and was like, ewwww I look so weird and gross. And it was kinda funny that the 4th guy was cropped out or something. Daniel said that my name was mentioned in Lian He Zao Bao, the Chinese newspaper as well. So cool yet so weird.
Suddenly, I felt like a mini celebrity all over again because people started smsing me to tell me that they saw me in the papers. Hahaha.
I totally didn't expect all this and I still have no idea what course to choose. (I got a B for PW and C for Chinese, so I didn't think it was possible to top anything)
And it's kinda bad because when I text my friends to ask about their results, they tell me, say that it sucks, and then ask me about my results. And I don't want to tell them in case they think I'm rubbing it in their face or showing off.
I know I did say before that I wanted straight As but I didn't really mug like crazy or pressurise myself to achieve them, so actually I was just saying it without really thinking that it could happen but wow, it did. I'm amazed, and I'm grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment